Monday, March 29, 2010

I've never been crazy about war stories. If I was desperately bored and nothing good was on, I might watch Apocalypse Now or Platoon in hopes of seeing some half dressed American heart throbs, but I never got excited thinking "Oh God I can't wait for this movie to start".

So, as much as I've never been interested in war stories, it speaks volumes to say that one of my all time favorite writers, Tim OBrien writes them. He does more than just put pen to page. If ever you had a relationship with characters .... I dunno, it is hard to put into words the effect that his books have on the reader... or on thsi reader anyway.

The Things They Carried is one of the best American stories ever told. He writes with such honesty that the stories are painful to read.... but still delicious none the less.
July, July was an amazing book as well.
I just stumbled across "If I Die in a Combat Zone, Box Me Up and Ship Me Home" today in a Goodwill. I went shopping with a friend of mine and I freaked out when I saw the book.

I never actively buy books anymore. I wait for books to jump out at me and demand to be taken home. This was one of those books. So, for a whole dollar - I have another Tim OBrien book and i can't wait to sit down and read it.

:) Ah, it's gonna be a good day.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home